Rishi Sunak is intervening in Sadiq Khan's housing plan as he says not sufficient dwellings are constructed.
But the mayor of London has criticised the prime minister's "disappointing and disingenuous claims" in regards to the capital.
On Thursday, the federal government mentioned Mr Khan has till the autumn to "look at opportunities to accelerate residential development on inner city brownfield industrial sites" or Housing Secretary Michael Gove will intervene instantly.
Politics newest: Sunak declines to say he has confidence in NatWest chairman
Downing Street criticised the mayor's London Plan and wished "to address issues such as single-story warehouses being prioritised over new homes on central London sites within a few minutes of tube stations".
Mr Khan was fast to spotlight his file on housebuilding, claiming that extra houses had been accomplished underneath his management than at any time for the reason that Thirties.
He identified progress has been to made beat a goal of beginning 116,000 inexpensive houses within the capital between 2015 and 2023.
The authorities, in the meantime, claimed that "London's own local housing plan says that 52,000 new homes are required - after the Mayor's London Plan was not deemed credible to deliver the original 66,000 homes a year that he estimated to be needed".
"Despite this, only around 30,000 have been built in recent years, and the latest indicator suggests only 21,000 new homes started development last year".
Read extraHousebuilding falls sharply as mortgage rates riseSunak pledges to see off rebellions and increase number of homesBritain's biggest housebuilder cuts construction target
Mr Khan's spokesperson mentioned: "These disappointing and disingenuous claims appear to show a fundamental lack of understanding of housebuilding in London.
"The mayor delivered file numbers of inexpensive houses over the past six years, constantly exceeding authorities targets regardless of the influence of the pandemic and Brexit. This has included beginning extra council houses than at any time for the reason that Nineteen Seventies.
"The mayor's London Plan was approved by the government in 2021 and the ministers should know that the housing figures included within it are reliant on sufficient government investment being made in infrastructure, particularly transport."
@wizbates
In the aftermath of the Conservatives' slender win on the latest Uxbridge by-election, it was clear they'd taken two key classes from the consequence.
Tory MPs interviewed within the early hours mentioned it was about displaying what Labour in energy was actually like and that single points, like ULEZ (the Ultra-Low Emission Zone) could possibly be weaponised to win votes.
Less than every week later, it seems that the prime minister has wasted no time in making use of what many in his occasion assume could possibly be the technique that permits them to cling on to energy on the subsequent election.
Which is presumably why Rishi Sunak popped up on a London constructing website immediately to trash Sadiq Khan’s housebuilding file within the capital.
Focusing on the Labour mayor permits the prime minister to keep away from his personal occasion's file which, assessed in opposition to nearly any metric, is a disappointing one.
Their 300,000 houses a 12 months pledge, established in 2017, has been oft ignored and at instances watered down, with Housing Secretary Michael Gove final 12 months downgrading it to "advisory".
The occasion's one critical try at assembly it with formidable planning reforms and country-wide targets was met with a livid wave of opposition from its personal MPs and council leaders, many decided to guard the picturesque Tory shires.
It was clear that strategy had been deserted this week when Mr Gove set out a brand new imaginative and prescient targeted as a substitute on cities, together with a big enlargement of Cambridge - a scheme instantly condemned by the realm’s Conservative MP.
Meanwhile, the latest homelessness figures present file variety of households dwelling in short-term lodging, together with 131,000 youngsters with no dwelling.
Add to that the latest financial turmoil that has pushed up rents and mortgages to eye-watering ranges and also you get a poisonous mixture that underpins a dysfunctional and deteriorating housing market.
Rishi Sunak’s response? To level the finger on the London mayor and to say he'll now step in to kind it out.
Given his authorities's file throughout the remainder of the nation, Londoners could also be forgiven for pondering that is something greater than electioneering.
Mr Sunak mentioned: "We are on track to build 1 million new homes over this parliament, having already delivered over 2.2 million across the country since 2010.
"But the truth is that too few of those houses are being inbuilt London, and for too many Londoners the dream of proudly owning their very own house is past attain.
"The mayor has failed to deliver the homes that London needs. This has driven up house prices and made it harder for families to get on the housing ladder in the first place.
"That is why we're stepping in immediately to spice up home constructing and make homeownership a actuality once more for individuals throughout this nice metropolis."
Click to subscribe to the Sky News Daily wherever you get your podcasts
In its plans, the federal government mentioned it wished to help a "Docklands 2.0", which might see elevated constructing in elements of east London like Thamesmead, Beckton and Silvertown.
It additionally mentioned £150m for housebuilding shall be handed onto London boroughs, bypassing the mayor's Greater London Authority.
And one other £200m shall be spent on growing unused brownfield websites.
Please share by clicking this button!
Visit our site and see all other available articles!